Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Observations about Korea

Now that I have been here over a month I will post some things I have found interesting.

  • Koreans really look out for each other. It is a society that has historically been through a lot of poo, and so there is a huge sense of Koreans looking out for Koreans. For this reason it is an incredibly safe place. You can leave your iPhone on a table, leave, come back, and it will still be there. (Ben did it by accident so I have proof). The crime rate here is one of the lowest in the world. I could safely walk home alone at 4am. 
  • Korean food is the bomb if you are into spicy food, meat, and seafood. So it's all working very well for me. 
  • There is a big culture of respect here. Bowing is a thing! I like bowing. If I am walking down the street and I look at a kid long enough they will bow. And if I incline my head to an older Korean walking down the street they will respond in the same way. I have also noticed they get really psyched if I do. Ben and I have actually cracked up walking down the street before because a stoney faced pissed off looking Korean will end up BEAMING when you give them a wee little bow. It may be a sort of "oh, wow, foreigner showing respect" type deal. I dunno but I'm into. MUTUAL RESPECT ALL AROUND THAT WE SHOW WITH OUR HEADS! 
  • Shopping is scary. There are always people in the grocery stores and if you start to show any interest in a product they bamboozle you in Korean. Ah well. 
  • The foreigner community is pretty awesome. I have been totally floored by how many people have come back and come back and come back. There are people who have been here anywhere from 2-10 years. I was invited to attend a girls night (which made me a little nervous ahead of time). I told Ben that if there was excessive high pitched talking and squeeking he would have to come save me. But there was not! There was lots of laughing and talking and dancing and I have plans with like half of the ladies I met. 
  • Korean kids are worked to the bone. Which can make them difficult to teach
  • Name brands and image are VERY important to Koreans. People will "work" insanely long days to show their importance and diligence. Even if they are just sitting around the image has to be maintained. Brand names and fancy expensive equipment are important. Physical beauty is important (Korea is number for one plastic surgery in the world). 
  • If you are trying, people are very friendly. Like if we go to the market and try t learn the words for things, and try and talk to the sales people they are great. And the Korean teachers at our school are lovely too. As long as you are good about communication they are excited and willing to help and collaborate. 
Warggg! the class bell is going off. TTFN (ta ta for now) 

No comments:

Post a Comment